Sunday, March 1, 2009

Aruba vacation pictures, part 1

My wife and I went to Aruba for a week with her parents for a relaxing time on the beach.

Now, I can do a little bit of time on the beach, but not all day. I did catch up on some reading, but I took time to seek out interesting things to shoot.

If you are on vacation and want to get a different perspective on things, use your hotel's height to your advantage. For a couple of these, I shot from the top floor looking down to the property grounds. For others, I shot up into trees with flash to get the iguanas.

Palm Beach, Aruba

This is an example of the property (Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort, Aruba) that is best captured from a height. Taken at ground level, there is no way to get anything like this.
Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort Aruba

Holiday Inn beach

When I took this, I was on the outdoor stairway and was trying for pattern shots of the fronds. I saw the birds perched there and took a lot of pictures trying to get a clear shot. The trade winds blow constantly, and at 40 feet up, the palm trees are always moving. I didn't even see the iguana until I was reviewing the picture later.
Doves and an Iguana

This tree is home to a couple iguanas that sun in the afternoon. If you didn't know they were there, you'd easily miss them up there.
Feeding the Iguana

No comments: